Cinco de Mayo Cocktails
May 01, 2017 08:24AM
● By North Hills Monthly magazine
Photos and recipes courtesy Fine Wines & Good Spirits
Cinco de Mayo is right around the corner, which means that it’s time to get your tequila on! But what do you really know about this tasty Mexican specialty?
Here are some fun facts:
- Tequila is made from the blue agave plant in specific regions of Mexico, primarily the state of Jalisco.
- Agave plants are harvested and the hearts are removed, opened and steamed in high-pressure ovens yielding a fermentable liquid. This liquid is then distilled into tequila.
- Tequilas fit into one of two categories: Either mixto, meaning it is made of 51 percent agave and 49 percent other ingredients, or 100 percent agave, meaning it is made completely of agave.
- Among all-agave tequilas, there are four major types: blanco/silver/white, reposado, añejo and extra añejo.
TEQUILA SUNRISE1 Jose Cuervo Especial® Silver
2 oz orange juice
1 tsp grenadine
Shake Jose Cuervo Especial® Silver and orange juice in a shaker filled with ice. Pour tequila and orange juice mixture into a Collins glass. Slowly pour grenadine in glass. Garnish with an orange slice and cherry.
GINGER MARGARITA1 ½ oz 1800 Reposado Tequila
3 oz ginger beer
1 oz lime juice
½ oz simple syrup
Combine first four ingredients in a shaker filled with ice. Serve on the rocks or straight up in a salt-rimmed glass (optional). Garnish with lime.
THE AUTHENTIC MARGARITA
1 oz Jose Cuervo Especial® Gold
3 oz Jose Cuervo Margarita Mix
Salt for rim
Combine Jose Cuervo Especial® Gold and margarita mix in a shaker filled with ice. Shake ingredients with ice and strain into ice-filled glass. Garnish with a lime wedge and salt rim.